Pre-event Monday, June 03
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Influencer Masterclass: Cultivating a Powerful Network for Link Building, Social Media Evangelism, and PR
- Michelle Stinson Ross, Apogee Results
We’ll cover topics including:
- Influencer Audit: Learn how to quickly and quantifiably evaluate existing backlinks, web and press mentions, social mentions, and referral traffic for business value and growth opportunity.
- Identify and Qualify: Learn to identify potential influencers for link building, social media, and news media and how to sort, qualify, and prioritize each for outreach.
- Influencer Resources: Learn how and when to either pivot existing content and resources or create brand new resources for influencers across various disciplines. This section will include evaluating when to get involved in paid influencer engagements.
- Outreach: Learn how to work with Email, Social and Paid Placements to develop and cultivate long term influencer/press relationships.
- Tools: Learn more about the tools featured during this workshop and how to use them to get organized, streamline your influencer management processes, and boost results
- Case Studies: See how best practices work in real marketing situations and gain insight on how to integrate with your business needs.
At the end of this masterclass, you’ll be able to:
- Assess your current influencer programs and resulting traffic
- Determine current business value and growth from your influencer programs and set future goals
- Identify additional opportunities to build relationships with new sites and influencers in your industries
- Evaluate what content and resources you have or need to develop in order to support your programs
- Grow your long term press/influencer relationships
- Know when to get involved with paid influencer engagements
CRO for Content Marketers
- Brian Massey, Conversion Sciences
- The magical equation you’ve been optimizing for, but didn’t know it.
- The metrics content marketers should pay attention to.
- Calculate the value of a reader, prospect and customer.
- Build high-converting content pages.
- How to get bigger content budgets from higher conversion rates.
- The rules of behavioral science — that you already know.
- The tools you should always have at your fingertips.
- How to use heatmaps to improve page layouts.
- Using analytics to grade your content and traffic.
- Why Bounce Rate is a poor indicator of content effectiveness.
- The sources of data you can tap for amazing insights.
- Keeping designers and copywriters honest.
- How to outgrow competitors with more resources.
- Dealing with executive interference.
- How to evaluate for crazy ideas that “just might work.”
- Transcend your IT department.
- How to decide what to change, what to leave the same, and what to test.
- Writing great survey questions.
- How to run a focus group from your desk.
- Managing content for a website redesign.
- How to develop ads that deliver qualified readers.
Day 1 Tuesday, June 04
8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Move Prospects Through the Customer Journey With a Solid Content and Digital Marketing Strategy
- Samantha Kermode, Vertical Measures
- Create ‘your’ customer journey and gain the ROI benefits of mapping that journey
- Understand why it’s vital to create content that resonates with your audience at different stages of the customer journey
- Strategize, ideate and create user-focused content infused with SEO best practices that beat the competition in search and beyond
- Know where, when and how to promote your content in a way that encourages engagement and moves your prospects through the customer journey
- Build an audience that you own, not rent, and the prove the value it creates for your organization
- Evaluate your return on investment (ROI) for your digital marketing efforts
SEO of Today
- Mindy Weinstein, Market MindShift
- Identify technical issues on your website that are hurting rankings and/or performance
- Prepare for site migrations (including https) and re-designs
- Uncover hidden gems in Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Find and pursue additional SERP opportunities, such as rich snippets, image and video results
- Reverse engineer the top-ranking pages to better compete in SERPs
- Structure the website to create themes
- Develop a content strategy based upon topical density that drives traffic
- Increase online publicity and brand awareness through SEO techniques
- Create an SEO strategy that can be implemented in prioritized steps
- Win over key executives with the right data and reporting
Forget Everything You Know About Email Marketing
- Jen Capstraw, Iterable
- List the components of a complete email program
- Determine email best practices worth busting
- Implement The Goldilocks Zone: A practical path to personalization
- Break free of batch ‘n blast
- Know when to just say no to A/B testing
- Name the essential components of preference centers that work
- Use the feng shui approach to email design
- Understand the future of email
1:15 pm - 2:15 pm
The Power of Purpose
- Stacy Minero, Twitter
In our digitally connected age, it’s a challenge for brands to cut through the noise with credibility. Add a heated political climate and explosive social movements like #TimesUp and #TakeAKnee, and it’s never been harder for brands to stand for something without taking a polarizing point of view. This session will showcase how brands can infuse a deeper sense of purpose into their company ethos and creative work, while tapping into issues and causes consumers care about. This keynote presentation will share how to amplify your company’s purpose-driven story; use Twitter to spark movements and mobilize consumers; and learn and apply best practices from purpose-driven brands.
2:30 pm - 3:00 pm
What’s Technically Wrong With Your Website?
- Diagnose common problems that can hurt your search rankings
- Prioritize technical fixes based on the level of impact on the website
- Communicate technical implementations to both the marketing and IT teams
- Identify areas of quick wins
Why Marketing Analytics Fails (and How to Do It Right)
- Matt Hertig, Alight Analytics
- Correctly identify your team’s current needs and objectives using the 4 Levels of Marketing Analytics Performance
- Understand the essential roles needed in a healthy analytics practice
- Determine how to choose the right tools for data management and dashboards
- Discover what you need to do to advance to the next level of performance
Facebook #LIVE: How to Engage Your Followers and Grow Your Audience in New Ways
- Why Facebook Live? Learn how going live on Facebook provides the greatest return for your time spent
- Recommended tools and resources to shoot a great Facebook #LIVE video on any budget
- Planning and optimizing Facebook Live strategies and campaigns, with step-by-step, hands-on instruction
3:15 pm - 3:45 pm
Three Actionable Ways to Amplify Video Marketing Success on Social Media
- Incorporate a data-centric approach to amplifying social & brand marketing initiatives with video
- Understand the strategy behind creating thumb-stopping video content for Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
- Develop a daily video marketing strategy that reaches specific audiences, and creates measurable impact
- Walk away with a playbook full of fresh insights on video marketing and the platforms on which you should focus
Zero to Profit in 30 Days: Accelerate Your Growth with Amazon
- Jonathan Spindel, Unique Influence
- Launch new products and have them rank on Amazon
- Optimize your Amazon storefront and product pages for ranking and conversion
- Identify your brand’s growth opportunities in the Amazon marketplace
- Leverage the value of paid efforts to amplify organic sales
- Develop an optimal customer experience to drive performance KPIs
4:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Reimaging, Rediscovering and Reinventing Your Brand through Storytelling
- Creating consistency and refreshing brand look and feel
- Evolving the voice to be more conversational
- Creating video content to share the ‘why’
Seven Habits for Highly Successful Digital Marketers
- Marc Engelsman, Digital Brand Expressions
- Better develop and “sell-in” integrated digital marketing strategies
- Evaluate the potential impact of and adapt to emerging digital technologies/techniques
- Turn data into meaningful insights
- Stay ahead of your competition and generate win/win results
Sound, Search and Semantics
- Upasna Gautam, Ziff Davis
- Understand the two fundamental parts of Google’s Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR): how sound is processed and how speech modeling is conducted
- Know exactly what the four metrics Google uses to track the quality of the system are
- Apply given tactics on how to target content by searcher need states to your own strategy
4:45 pm - 5:15 pm
Growth by Content: Driving Massive Traffic Without a Big Budget
- Nadya Khoja, Venngage Infographics
- Build a high-impact strategy that requires little to no ad spend budget
- Create a range of content types that will contribute to improving a variety of acquisition performance metrics all at once
- Start thinking about hitting multiple acquisition goals without putting in as much work
- Know which metrics to measure for content engagement, and why it’s crucial to scaling your traffic
Trust by Design: Keeping Your Customer on Your Side
- Look at visual and interactive signals to build trust in the experience and product
- Asses designs for how the viewer will trust their visual and interactive messages
- Look at a product’s long term success based on trust, rather than short-term profit gains
5:15 pm - 6:15 pm
Get your networking on. The opening reception is a great opportunity to make new industry connections and reconnect with old friends too. Hoist a beverage or two while you reflect on today’s awesome content. Mingle with onsite exhibitors, speakers, and fellow attendees to talk shop about your biggest marketing challenges, while having some fun in the process.
Day 2 Wednesday, June 05
8:30 am - 9:00 am
Shaping Brand Perception Through Storytelling
- Ben Tamblyn, Microsoft
- Tell stories that create brand impact and stir emotions
- Apply strategic tactics that elevate your brand storytelling
- Understand the storytelling strategy that shapes Microsoft’s public perception
Your Users Will Reward You For Using Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
- Understand why AMP was created and why it’s effective
- Debunk common myths about AMP
- Discover the power of AMP to create full-featured, beautiful websites
- Define how AMP can be used well and used poorly
- Incorporate AMP into your site, saving time and improving retention
How to Run a Content Practice (Without Inciting Mass Panic)
- Matt Ingwalson, Heinrich
- Clearly articulate a strategic goal and map your content to meet it
- Determine the pieces you need to produce – and when to share them
- Assign accountability for who concepts, produces and approves tactics
- Develop a process that allows you to cost-effectively produce content for mobile, social and owned channels
9:15 am - 9:45 am
Website Migration: What to Do Pre, During and Post
- Samantha Kermode, Vertical Measures
- List reasons why you should migrate (there are plenty)
- Take advantage of opportunities to make your new website SEO friendly
- Use best practices presented to prepare for your migration
- Find out what to expect during migration day
- Know what you need to monitor in post-migration
Bridging Silos Between SEO, UX, and Content for Big Marketing Wins
- Leverage keyword data to unite your UX, SEO, and content efforts
- Avoid classic marketing mistakes that stem from fractured strategies and disconnected teams
- Holistically optimize your digital presence across the web with practical, real-world approaches
How to Use Structured Data for SEO
- Adopt the benefits of structured data and schema.org markup.
- Use best practices for technical implementation and validation.
- Understand the key features that drive increased clicks and conversion.
- Avoid common mistakes and penalties.
10:00 am - 10:30 am
Fyre Festival: 10 Marketing Lessons Your Business Can Leverage
- Brian Fanzo, iSocialFanz
- Move beyond marketing your products/apps/services and focus on experience marketing
- Empower today’s digitally connected consumer by capturing attention, maintaining attention and creating buzz
- Understand why influencer marketing in 2019 requires much more than a celebrity posting an orange tile and how every business can leverage influencer marketing at scale
- Spend more time understanding your customer while embracing the importance of transparency and authenticity in good times and when things go up in flames!
Going Mobile: Adjust Your Marketing Strategy to Fit in a Mobile-First World
- Comprehend why it’s important to think mobile-first
- Develop a cohesive strategy to making a mobile-first shift
- Understand what areas still need desktop attention
- Decide what marketing channels to ditch and which to double down
- Discover new technologies that can help your company compete in a mobile landscape
UX Meets MBA: A Designer Goes to Business School
- McLean Donnelly, The Makery Group
- Articulate the ROI of improved customer experiences
- Build strategic plans that include customer and business outcomes
- Teach creatives to use business metrics in their everyday work
11:00 am - 11:30 am
So Many Platforms, So Little Time: The Right Content for the Right Platform
- Better understand the unique audiences on each of your social media marketing platforms
- Develop a unique strategy for each of your channels
- Learn to embrace new and existing features of the platforms to make them work for you
- Maximize social media engagement by using “found time” to foster creativity
Influencer Marketing Strategies to Grow Your Audience
- Ursula Ringham, SAP, Inc.
- Develop a programmatic influencer marketing strategy
- Determine which influencers are best for your audiences
- Build lasting relationships with influencers
- Create authentic content that tells your story
- Effectively reach new audiences
11:45 am - 12:15 pm
What Marketers Can Learn About Social Media from DJ Khaled and Drake
- Carlos Gil, Gil Media Co.
- Tap into new storytelling features on Snapchat and Instagram Stories
- Create an employee advocacy strategy to boost organic social media reach
- Leverage social listening effectively to find and engage potential customers
- Build relatable, real-time moments like an A-list celebrity for your brand
- List the types of content given preferential treatment by Facebook and Instagram
Build a Loyal Base of Listeners: B2B Podcasting
- Sean Campbell, Cascade Insights
- Promote your podcast more effectively via 5 key tips
- Produce a show that leads to a loyal subscriber base
- Leverage a set of tools and apps that will help you promote and produce a professional B2B podcast
Four Automated Email Series That Get Serious Results
- Caroline Matis, Emma
- Produce 18x more revenue through content nurturing
- Send personalized content based on specific user actions
- Increase profits by 30% with behavioral emails
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
- Andrew Malcolm, Evernote
Enjoy a moment to nosh and relax while you tune into a lively and inspired lunch keynote. Speaker TBA.
1:40 pm - 2:10 pm
Social Media Matters: Developing and Sustaining Audience Engagement
- Apply data-centric approaches to connect with your audience in ways that your competitors are not.
- Embark on the same social media strategy that has enabled Harvard Business School External Relations to increase audience interactions by 160% over the past two years.
- Increase traffic to your website through targeted, data-driven measures
- Analyze and report on the Return on Investment (ROI) of your social media efforts
The Power of Deep Content: Articulating Your Brand Story in a Noisy Environment
- List 5 verbs that are the necessary building blocks for deep content
- Unlock the power of pain points
- Know how and when to use Storytelling vs storyselling
- Understand and implement deep content’s triple win into your own content game plan
SEO Quick Wins: 20% of Actions for 80% of Results
- Matthew Capala, Alphametic
- Execute on the 20% of transformative actions that lead to 80% of your organic search results
- Perform a quick, simple and action-oriented SEO audit to prioritize your content, backlink and technical strategies
- Design a winning SEO game plan that will not break the bank
- Implement an agile and inclusive SEO process
- Adapt to recent Google changes and position your strategy ahead of the evolving algorithm (and the competition)
2:20 pm - 2:50 pm
Re-Engagement that Rocks: Strategies & Tips from Simple to Sophisticated
- Jen Capstraw, Iterable
- Understand the steps in the lifecycle that warrant re-engagement campaigns
- Replicate best-in-class examples of re-engagement in action
- Implement can’t-miss tips that get clicks among disengaged subscribers
Crisis Communications: How To Do It Right
- Tatiana Kuzmowycz, ClassPass
- Develop a communication playbook that spans all areas of the business, from press to customer service to your executive team
- Communicate change with an empathetic customer-first approach
- Understand ways to preserve your brand and retain customer loyalty
- Plan for the unexpected with toolkits and plans for the moments you don’t expect
Cognitive Technology: The End of Marketers and Marketing As We Know It?
- Understand how machine learning/AI technologies will be used to improve marketing processes and decision making
- Know which marketing roles and functions are at risk of being “automated”
- Prepare yourself and your team for the future through a “center-brain marketing” approach
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Adapting To The New Facebook
- Alex Baker-Whitcomb, WIRED Magazine
- Decide if being on the platform is right for you
- Learn how to adapt previous Facebook strategies to boost your other platforms
- Get the most out of the new algorithm, and avoid the penalties and pitfalls that could sink you
SEO vs. Brand Voice: Choosing the Right Words
- Set priorities for digital copy based on your brand’s voice
- Turn your SEO strategy into a key tool for building brand value
- Balance two distinct skill sets: writing for search, and writing for brand
- Create more cohesion between the terms people search for and the way you talk about what you offer
(Art)ificial: How to Start Leveraging AI Without Losing Your Brand
- Anne Gherini, Affinity
- Start implementing AI today without diluting your brand
- See why AI will not replace humans, but instead enhance our work
- Understand how these technologies can save your team time and money
- Learn the mistakes that many make in bringing AI into their business strategy (ie. chatbots)
3:40 pm - 4:10 pm
Customer Storytelling: Connecting with Empathy and Humor
- Tim Washer, Ridiculous Media
- Transform case studies into voice-of-the-customer videos that connect emotionally
- Produce award-winning content on a shoestring budget
- Apply simple, affordable tactics to produce a mini-documentar
How To Prepare For Voice Search To Change Customer Discovery
- Determine voice search’s impact on your business for today and the future
- Better understand how IAs are “indexing” content to searchers
- Take those learnings and apply them to your customer acquisition strategy
4:10 pm - 5:00 pm
Before you say adieu…join us for a last hurrah. Have a final toast to your new chums, and cheer each other on as you go out to use your new marketing powers and ideas for good. Sadly, DS is over for this year, but applying all your new digital marketing knowledge and insight is only just beginning!